I’ve had an idea in my head for a while for a simple fall banner for my fireplace. I took a few different ideas and melded them together into the following simple, cute decoration. I was quite pleased with the outcome and this banner took me hardly anytime at all. You can make this for any holiday or with any word. It would be adorable for a birthday banner as well. Here is what I did:
Fat quarter of fall fabric
1 – 12″ x 12″ piece of fall patterned paper
Package of double fold bias tape or long length of ribbon
Fabric strip scraps
Scrapbooking stickers or die cut letters
1. Cut your fat quarter into as many triangles as you need. My triangles are cut 5″ a 7″. You may choose to cut your triangles with pinking shears for an even cuter effect.
2. Cut your scrapbook paper into as many 2.5″ squares as you need.
3. Sew your scrapbook paper onto your fabric triangle with a long straight stitch.
4. Lay out your triangles and pin into your double fold bias tape. Sew along the length of your bias tape, securing your triangles onto the bias tape.
5. Take your scrapbook or die cut letters and place them onto the center of each scrapbook paper square. My letters came on a sheet with tiny rhinestone embellishments so I added those for effect as well.
6. Hang your banner anywhere you would like it.
7. Take your fabric scrap strips and tie them in between each letter, trimming them shorter if needed.
Voila, a spruced up fall fireplace mantel ready for an apple cider scented candle and a vase full of fall leaves.